Saturday, December 29, 2007

spaceland, tonight

i finished reading the golden compass. loved it A LOT. not usually into this whole fantasy//etc. genre (aka i refuse to watch/read harry potter) but-- the protagonist is easy to root for, there's plenty of mystery and adventure, and the talking polar bears, witches, daemons... i'm going to start the next book of the trilogy, perhaps finish before the beginning of the sem.

tonight, though, you should be going to this @ spaceland. i've heard the promise of ice cream cone cupcakes awaits...

2 comments:

Angela Lucier said...

Hmm I actually picked up the Golden Compass at the bookstore and was ready to buy it but then I talked myself out of it at the last minute. Skimming through, I wasn't sure if my brain has the capacity to catalog another fantasy series worth of characters/history/backstory etc. Between Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and my Terry Pratchett Discworld series (yeah, yeah, I'm a dork)...my brain might explode! But you say it's good?

xmaox said...

yea, that's actually the main reason why i can't read other fantasy series books-- too much history/backstory etc. for my little brain to handle. but this is pretty straightforward, and easy to remember who is who, who's on what side, etc.

there's also that whole controversy of it being anti-catholic/too atheist which actually makes the story more interesting.